Why Your Teen Should Not Pierce Their Tongue

Why Your Teen Should Not Pierce Their Tongue

As your teen begs you to let them pierce their tongue, it’s important to think about the many risks associated with the piercing. Tongue piercings can be extremely dangerous, especially because they can cause:

Chipped teeth
Fractured teeth are major dental problems that often occur because of tongue piercings. Many people tend to chip their teeth on their tongue jewelry when they eat, sleep, talk, and chew. Once the tooth is fractured, it could require a dental filling, root canal, or tooth extraction.

Swelling
It is very common for the tongue to swell once it is punctured. In some cases, it swells so much that it can block the airway and stop a person’s breathing. The only way to give the patient the oxygen he or she needs is to pass a breathing tube through their nose until the swelling reduces.

Infection
Infections are dangerous, and it is very common for an infection to develop after a tongue piercing. The tongue is covered with bacteria, and once the tongue is pierced, the bacteria is introduced to the blood. Then, the infection can transfer to other areas of the body, like the heart, and cause major complications.

Allergic reactions
Many people are allergic to certain types of metals, so if the tongue jewelry is made of a metal that your teen is allergic to, it can cause a major allergic reaction.

Dr. [doctor_name] and our team at [practice_name] care about your teen and their oral health, which is why we strongly recommend disapproving the piercing altogether. If you would like to know more about oral piercings and why they are dangerous, please feel free to call [phone] today and talk to a member of our caring dental team. We are here to help you in any way possible!

2017-06-14T18:46:12+00:00January 26th, 2016|