Using Inlays, Onlays or a Crown to Repair an Area of Tooth Decay

Using Inlays, Onlays or a Crown to Repair an Area of Tooth Decay

Even with a diligent oral hygiene routine, it’s still possible for an area of tooth decay to appear on one of your teeth. The larger the area of decay is and the longer it is allowed to develop will influence the type of filling or method used to repair and restore the function of the tooth.

Inlays and onlays are essentially two different types of fillings. The difference between the two types of fillings is directly related to the size and location of the cavity. They are most commonly used to repair cavities on molars and premolars.

An Inlay is used to repair a large cavity that is isolated to only the occlusal or biting surface of a tooth. An onlays is usually larger and is called for to fill a cavity that extends from the biting surface to the side of the tooth.

If a large area of tooth decay is allowed to spread, it can damage so much enamel that it cannot be repaired with a filling, your dentist might recommend a crown. To be fitted for a crown your dentist will remove most of the tooth enamel to create an abutment. A temporary crown is then cemented over top while a dental lab prepares a permanent crown made.

If you have questions about what type of filling you might need, feel free to call us at [phone] to schedule an appointment.

2017-05-25T22:01:30+00:00February 5th, 2016|